Parenting Time in Colorado

For experienced representation in parenting time cases, including modifications of parenting time, contact our Denver child custody attorney. She can help you protect your interests & obtain favorable outcomes.

For experienced representation in parenting time cases, including modifications of parenting time, contact our Denver child custody attorney. She can help you protect your interests & obtain favorable outcomes.

The time you get to spend with your child can be invaluable to both you and your little one. Unfortunately, however, divorce can compromise this time. It may even force you to have to fight for time with your child if you and your ex are unable to come to an agreement regarding parenting time plans.

At Katherine Grier, P.C., our Denver child custody attorney understands how difficult parenting time disputes can be. That is why she is dedicated to protecting parents’ interests and advocating on their behalf in any legal setting.

Known for providing effective representation in various types of custody disputes, our Denver custody lawyer will work relentlessly to help parents obtain the best possible resolutions to custody disputes so they can get back to what is more important – nourishing their relationship with their child.

Who Is Entitled to Parenting Time?

In Colorado, any parent can be entitled to parenting time. Some situations in which parents may need to make parenting time requests can include when:

  • Married parents have initiated divorce or legal separation proceedings to end the marriage.
  • Paternity for a child has been established/confirmed.
  • A custody order has been secured.

It is important to note here that, in addition to parents, grandparents can also qualify for parenting time in certain situations (such as when one parent has passed away or the child has been placed in the custody of someone other than a parent).

How Parenting Time Decisions Are Made by Courts: The Best Interests of a Child

When parents can agree on a parenting time plan, the court will usually honor these agreements. In the event that no agreement can be reached, however, the court will get involved to resolve the dispute. The primary focus of the court in these cases will be to issue rulings based on what is in the best interests of the involved child (or children).

The central factors considered by the court when figuring out what would be in the child’s best interests include (but may not be exclusive to):

  • The wishes of the parents and the child (as long as the child is mature enough to relay his or her wishes to the court)
  • The physical and mental health of the parents and child
  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • Whether the child would have to adjust to a new community
  • The physical distance between the parents’ homes
  • Whether parents will encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent
  • The degree to which either or both parents will put the child’s needs before their own needs
  • Whether either parent has a history of addiction, abuse and/or criminal activity.

Modifications of Parenting Time Arrangements

Once parenting time has been awarded by the court (or agreed upon by parents), there may be a need to modify this arrangement in the future as life circumstances change. Here is what parents should generally know about modifications of parenting time arrangements:

  • Some of the reasons to pursue a modification of parenting time can include moving to a new city, developing a new health complication or experiencing changes to a family unit.
  • When evaluating requests for modifying parenting time, the court will, again, consider what is in the child’s best interests.
  • In general, major modifications to parenting time (such as those that change the person with whom a child spends the majority of time) can only be requested once every two years.
Contact a Denver Child Custody Attorney at Katherine Grier, P.C.

For experienced representation in parenting time cases, contact the Denver child custody attorney at Katherine Grier, P.C. Since 1999, our attorney and her dedicated staff have been protecting people’s rights and helping them secure the best possible outcomes to their custody issues.

To get answers about your best options for resolving your custody case, contact us today by calling (303) 539-5435 or by sending us an email via the contact form on this page. We are ready to help you resolve your important family legal issues as favorably and efficiently as possible.

From our location in Denver, our attorney provides the highest quality representation to those in Denver, Englewood, Centennial, Aurora, Arvada, Westminster, Parker, Castle Rock, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Golden, Brighton, Broomfield, Lakewood and throughout the state of Colorado.